Text messaging, carrier fees, etc.
This post is for our customers who are using TextIn app. Apology for a long message in advance but recent changes deserve an explanation.
10-digit long code (10DLC) is a service offered by major wireless carriers in the USA to explicitly allow application-to-peer (A2P) SMS traffic over long code phone numbers. The 10DLC service has been designed specifically for commercial A2P messaging. This service offers customers the best stability and deliverability available on long codes, because 10DLC allows for higher messaging throughput than traditional peer-to-peer (P2P) long code traffic. 10DLC also offers significant cost savings over dedicated short code numbers. Starting late 2020, carriers have started routing all long code SMS message traffic to their 10DLC A2P services.
As you know, Colligso has been provisioning a 10-digit long code number for every US and Canada based customer of TextIn.
Sanctioned traffic, registration, verification and fees
- Both AT&T and T-Mobile require every business (brand) to register their 10DLC number for A2P messaging so that they are aware of who’s sending messages, what messaging is being sent, and can continue protecting end users from spam and unwanted messages.
- Businesses are also asked to verify the type of message sent over A2P by identifying the “campaign type” (use case).
- The verification and risk assessment evaluations are outsourced to an independent organization called the Campaign Registry, which determines a “trust score” that the carrier assigns to the business. At this time, Verizon doesn’t require that brands obtain a trust score; instead, it uses filters to block traffic it deems to be a spam risk.
- The businesses’ trust scores and campaign types determine throughput for each carrier network.
- There is also one-time registration fee (USD $$), brand vetting fee (USD $) and per month campaign fee (USD $).
Toll-free number (TFN)
Colligso enables businesses to grow profitably by providing an easy to use and integrated platform to create and cultivate digital customer relationships. TextIn helps businesses to engage directly with customers using text messaging. Protecting end users from spam and unwanted messages is also a top priority of Colligso. We take extra precaution by taking consent from end users on behalf of businesses with our written consent opt-in protocol. However, registering your brands and your every campaign type with the carriers significantly increases time to onboard businesses and campaigns. It also increases the cost of doing business and hurts growth. Therefore, starting May 1, 2021, we have migrated all our US-based customers from 10DLC to toll-free numbers.
While TFN provides better reliability and throughput, the cost of a toll-free number and per message price is higher. In addition, there is a carrier surcharge of $0.0025 for every SMS/ MMS message sent/received.
Colligso has been bearing the cost of bi-directional opt-in traffic as well as occassional text messages or voice calls by customers to your business. Considering the recent changes, starting June 1, 2021, we would include the above mentioned traffic into your monthly message quota. We are watching impact on our costs due to the carrier fees. We would keep you posted if there are changes in pricing. Reach out to us anytime if you have questions via Helpdesk.
Phishing, spam, and illegal and illicit content is prohibited
Message content that deceives or threatens consumers, including phishing, is not permitted. Even if a consumer consents to receive messages, the messages must not be deceptive; TCPA compliance alone does not satisfy this condition. Marketing messages must be truthful, not misleading. When appropriate, marketing messages must be backed by scientific evidence in order to meet the standards of the Federal Trade Commission’s Truth In Advertising rules. The FTC prohibits unfair or deceptive advertising in any medium, including text messages.
Check this out
- When should you use SMS marketing?
- Send a message with a picture to customers using Colligso TextIn
- TextIn is integrated with popular apps, CRM, eCommerce, guest WiFi, ordering, point of sale and integration platforms to make it easy for you to sync up customer data.